Bill Rubenstein

Fred:

Chuck doesn't sell Stubbys -- at least as far as I know. I do, however.
But, before I make any post which might be construed as an
advertisement, I think long and hard as to how it might be viewed. I
don't think that going through the archives any fair person could come
to the conclusion that I am using this forum for advertising.

I let this discussion go on for some time without comment. I finally
decided that I might have a take on the subject which some might be
interested in hearing so went ahead.

I object to manufacturers who drop a new product on the market and then
tell us that we should buy and use it, where there has clearly been no
input from the set of prospective users. We end up with products with
such obvious shortcomings that it is hard to imagine that they even
considered marketing them.

Clearly some product shortcomings are the result of economic decisions
-- 2 hp costs more than 1 hp for instance. And who wouldn't rather have
2 hp? But, there are too many products out there where doing something
right would not have cost any more than the way it was done -- wrong. I
can think of several examples but you might consider that negative
advertising so I won't detail them here.

So, the reasons for my post -- as I stated -- to give another
perspective to those interested; and to find out what others thought
about my thinking on the subject.

Bill

Fred Holder wrote:
Chuck,

I note that you seemed to have started the thread on the Nova 3000 stating that
is was sad to hear that Teknatool is phasing out the Nova 3000. I just took a
look at their web site and there is no indication that the Nova 3000 is being
phased out. This wouldn't be a ploy to get people who were thinking of buying a
Nova 3000 or Nova DVR 3000 to consider purchasing a Stubby from you by any
chance would it?

Your original post stirred up a lot of posts, but would you like to prove that
you're not trying to use the newsgroup to promote your business? I feel open and
honest advertising on the newsgroup is acceptable, but underhanded advertising
is not in my books.

I don't post much on this newsgroup anymore because of people trying underhanded
things like you and the sometimes severe attacks on people, I'm not blaming you
for those attacks, however.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Chuck says...

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:08:27 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

Ok, I feel that it is time for me to weigh in on this thread. Maybe a
different perspective may be of interest...

Thanks for the input. As a retailer, I would really like to hear your
take on it.

prototype of a new and less
expensive model -- the F600. It is missing some of the unique features
of the Stubby S750 and S1000 but it will be every bit as robust and nice
to use as its big brothers -- just more limiting.

Heheh...I think you already can gather MY opinion on this.

It will also be cast iron -- lots of it because cast iron is a major
part of what gives the Stubby product line its robustness, freedom from
vibration, long life and all the rest of the things which go with the
name Stubby.

Amen, brother. That's what I'm talking about. It IS possible to offer
a lower-priced, yet quality product to a broader slice of a decidedly
limited buying public.

While it will be less costly than its big brothers, it won't be able to
compete price-wise with a lot of other machines -- it will still be on
the upper side of $3000.00 and pushing $4000.00.

Hey, they've got the right idea. While it's out of _my_ league for a
while, it is certainly a lot closer than the big brothers are. What
will be the motor, swing and length options, do you know yet?

Does it make sense for us to have
what we would always need to consider an inferior product just for us to
have an entry level product? Might users of our entry level product,
when ready to upgrade, look elsewhere because of the short-comings of
our entry level product?

As I've said, if Stubby or any other company can maintain their
standards and offer a lower-priced product to get people into the
driver's seat, they're going a long way toward creating brand loyalty,
and just ask any car dealer what that's worth. I think you've
answered your own question, if you're talking about a fabricated
(rather than cast) unit. It _would_ be inferior and wouldn't meet
Stubby standards, so they'd be getting away from the formula of
maintaining quality and performance standards. That won't cut it,
even with an entry-level product.

It certainly is possible to cut bells and whistles and maintain
overall quality while at the same time dropping overall cost and
thereby retail cost. ( I keep falling back on car-makers, but they
have so many different models and are such a ubiquitous product that
everybody can relate.) Car manufacturers do this all the time, always
looking for a bigger piece of the pie, and if it's done right, it
works.

I really am asking for opinions and would like to hear what others say
about it. I've rejected the idea of selling a fabricated machine but
maybe I'm wrong.

No, I think you're right on the money, personally, for the reasons
stated. That's just one man's opinion, but what more can one man have
anyhow?

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com