Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

You said load - that means bending down to pick up sprog to load it into
the vehicle.

Bending down outside the car to pick up said sprog is not the bit where
you do yourself a mischief though. Its the bending over leaning into the
car.

And you said associated kit ...

More load space...

Than what? Than an estate?

(it was no coincidence that when we replaced SWMBO's 2+2 coupé with a
large estate car, it was within a year of the arrival of the second
sprog).

But wriggling two year olds aren't the only sprogs. Most sprogs - in my
long experience - like to load themselves into a vehicle. The extra
height of a

Yup, ours load and unload themselves - can't manage the seat belts /
harnesses though.

Oh dear, a bit backward are they?

;-)

high modern vehicle makes it more difficult for them. We have a son who
has one, his daughters have to climb, inelegantly, into the back. They're
far too big to be lifted by their parents.

Once they get to that size, I doubt it matters much... they seem pretty
keen of climbing anything anywhere ISTM ;-)

But it would be EASIER to get into a lower vehicle.

It wasn't an advantage when we had children and a Thames. We had to lift
the small ones in. The bigger ones used the step. Of course, we didn't
have

That was Ford's small van before they introduced the transit IIUC?

Ours was the mini-bus version. Ten seats.

child seats in those days (works of the devil) but in any case it was
easy

Having child seats or not having them?

sigh Since you've snipped I don't know the reference.

And how many can - in any vehicle, of either sex (or none)?

Statistically speaking probably none of us if being totally honest. Some
are obviously more aware of these things than other though.

That's not defined by sex.

Did not intend to imply it was...

No, but women's lack of spatial awareness was mentioned.

One of the siller male misapprehensions.

There are some drivers (men and women) who seem to have little clue about
appropriate driving behaviour in reaction to different conditions.

Indeed.

And it's nothing to do with the type of vehicle one is driving.

It is partly - in the sense you need to be aware of any special factors
about the vehicle that will affect how it behaves should something
unexpected happen.

That applies to whatever vehicle you're driving. A scooter is very different
from a tractor, that doesn't mean that you can't driver either efficiently.

Mary