Prometheus

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:44:51 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .

Does applying the finish in the same session do the trick, or do I
need to try something else, like the paper bag full of shavings
method?

Applying a finish does not dry the piece. It may slow moisture loss, but
when the piece gets below the FSP (Fiber Saturation Point), the cells walls
will thin and the piece shrink. Not conducive to good fits. Drying it
slowly in a bag, newsprint, or such is your money move. Shavings have
lignin, and may promote mold.

Any good rules of thumb for drying times:thickness? I know with
lumber it's about 1 year:1 inch, but that seems like a lot with a
small hollowed peice.

It's the don't give much to pull against move all over again. With the pith
located in a sloped or curved area of the wall, it has less to grab below,
because there isn't enough continuous fiber across the grain. Little loss
(1%) of dimension along the grain.

Good deal- That's what I've got going, but it was more for aestetic
reasons to begin with.