Prometheus

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:58:40 -0400, Bruce Bowler
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:27:16 -0500, Prometheus put fingers to keyboard and
said:

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:21:24 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

You have to plan ahead, no doubt. For instance, if working from green to
get something which demands a precision fit, you have to turn, dry, turn.
With the pith in, survival nods toward thin, which isn't really compatable
with TDT,

Sorry, but what does TDT stand for?

Turn, Dry, Turn

Got ya. The piece I finished up tonight is going to have a lid made
of a contrasting wood, so I just turned it really thin (about
1/4"-3/16" throughout, and as thin as I dared in the area with the
pith) and finished it. Was starting to have some minor cracking, but
I spun that sucker fast and hard, while sanding it until it was close
to smoking, so I'm hoping that that minor cracking will be all that
happens- if I'm lucky, it'll just be visual interest for the piece.