Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:22:57 GMT, (Chuck)
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:21:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

My point is, when you have a proven widget that you can sell to 10
million people and develop a Widget that sells for 10x the $$ to 1000
people, it's silly to drop the widget to exclusively sell the Widget.

So why isn't Ford still selling new model Ts?

How can you hope to develop a customer base whom you want to aspire to
the _top_ of your product line, if you have no introductory line?
Very simple business practice, really. Why else would turners "waste
time" turning $1-$2 geegaws at shows, when they can make SO much more
selling just their $300 bowls?

And citing GM as a company making huge profits maybe isn't the best
example, nowadays!

Just the one I'm most familiar with. Call it Bob's Widget's, if you
want.

Maybe some executives are sick of seeing there company's good name
trashed in this form and others, when the motor shaft brakes
repeatedly and the engineers cant seem to find a inexpensive solution.