Chuck

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:21:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

My point is, when you have a proven widget that you can sell to 10
million people and develop a Widget that sells for 10x the $$ to 1000
people, it's silly to drop the widget to exclusively sell the Widget.
How can you hope to develop a customer base whom you want to aspire to
the _top_ of your product line, if you have no introductory line?
Very simple business practice, really. Why else would turners "waste
time" turning $1-$2 geegaws at shows, when they can make SO much more
selling just their $300 bowls?

And citing GM as a company making huge profits maybe isn't the best
example, nowadays!

Just the one I'm most familiar with. Call it Bob's Widget's, if you
want.
--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com