Prometheus

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:46:08 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

====================

First suggestion would be to get the Chris Stott book on making small boxes.

Will do.

Until then, Try this:
1 Turn your blank to a cylinder between centers, spindle style
2 Part off to give yourself a square shoulder for your chuck
3 Mount your blank in the chuck with the part to be the bottom in the chuck
4 Shape the portion that will be your lid
4a Make a shallow cut with your parting tool to set your lid tenon to later
fit into the box
5 Part off the lid
6 Using your small gouge or drill, make a center starter hole (a large
Forstner drill in a tailstock mounted Jacobs chuck works well, but be sure
not to drill too deep or you'll end up with a fancy toilet paper roller {:-)
!) Your small gouge can be used like gun drill by pushing straight into the
end grain.
7 Finish hollowing with a fingernail gouge or scraper to the final size that
will match the lid tenon
8 Sand and apply finish

Looks pretty similar to what I've tried so far- but it's nice to have
it laid out like that to see that I wasn't way off-base!

There are other details, like finishing the inside of the lid, precision
fitting the lid for vacuum fit , etc., but you can pick that up as you go
along.

Hope this helps.

Sure does- as noted above, it's pretty much the technique I was using,
but it's always nice to know that I'm not doing things the hard way!