Andrew Barss

Chuck wrote:
: On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:31:04 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
: wrote:

:: That's like GM saying, "We make so much selling Hummers, per unit, and
:: they're just such a better machine that we're going to drop the Chevy,
:: GM and Saturn lines and just concentrate on the Hummers."
:
:
:Well, they probably would, if it weren't for federal gas mileage
:requirements. The profit margin on traditional (truck-based) SUVs is
:gigantic compared to typical sedans.

: They didn't do it _before_ the nanny-state mileage requirements, why
: would they yearn to do it afterward? It doesn't make sense, if you
: want your company to be huge and make big profits to only cater to the
: upper echelons of car (or any other big ticket items) buyers.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Maybe you're talking only
about Hummers (and I'm not convinced that they are such better machines
than, say, a Saturn). I was taking your point more broadly, i.e. about
large, truck-style SUVs vs. passenger cars.

And citing GM as a company making huge profits maybe isn't the best
example, nowadays!

-- Andy Barss