Ken Moon

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article . net,
"Ken Moon" wrote:

Did he bring one of his trembleurs with him? And did he go over use of
his
string spindle steady? Both remarkable as far as I'm concerned.

Better than that - he made one for us (Northwest Woodturners) and signed
it. We made a base for it with a protective plexi tube and auctioned it
off last summer at our wood'n'tool auction. If I remember correctly, I
think we got something in the neighborhood of $250 for it. Here's a pic
of the finished trembleur as auctioned:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/Escoulentrembler.jpg

Here's a link to some pics of Escoulen's demo for us:
http://www.northwestwoodturners.com/demos/escoulen_frame.html

Lastly, I did make his string steady - sort of... I tried it but found
the string a little too fussy. Either that or I forgot how he wound and
tied it. I resorted to his basic framework but then went with UHMW
plastic and deStacco clamps:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/SteadyRest.JPG
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/SteadyRest2.JPG

Works great and is easy to setup and take down. For the type of work I'm
doing I need something that's quick and easy to move as I work -- I move
them (I have two steadies) about 5 or so times in making one spindle.
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm

========================
I attended a one day demo that he did for the Central Texas Woodturners
Assn. in the late 90's. It was right after he introduced his eccentric chuck
to the US market. He's the most impressive turner I've ever watched. I'd
never heard of a bedan before I saw him, but he made it look so eay, I had
to try it; almost as easy as he made it look. The trembleur is a different
story; I can make one section. {:-(
My ambition is to go to France for one of his classes (right after I get
that lottery money!) I'm still saving for one of his chucks also. So many
wishes, so little money.
BTW, thanks for the links.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.