Owen Lowe

In article . net,
"Ken Moon" wrote:

Did he bring one of his trembleurs with him? And did he go over use of his
string spindle steady? Both remarkable as far as I'm concerned.

Better than that - he made one for us (Northwest Woodturners) and signed
it. We made a base for it with a protective plexi tube and auctioned it
off last summer at our wood'n'tool auction. If I remember correctly, I
think we got something in the neighborhood of $250 for it. Here's a pic
of the finished trembleur as auctioned:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/Escoulentrembler.jpg

Here's a link to some pics of Escoulen's demo for us:
http://www.northwestwoodturners.com/demos/escoulen_frame.html

Lastly, I did make his string steady - sort of... I tried it but found
the string a little too fussy. Either that or I forgot how he wound and
tied it. I resorted to his basic framework but then went with UHMW
plastic and deStacco clamps:

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/SteadyRest.JPG
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/SteadyRest2.JPG

Works great and is easy to setup and take down. For the type of work I'm
doing I need something that's quick and easy to move as I work -- I move
them (I have two steadies) about 5 or so times in making one spindle.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm