OK guys, pay attention. I think what George is trying to say that it
is time for Teknatool to "step up to the pump" and make a more
proprietary, unrepairable, and more disposable lathe and charge too
much for it along the way. Then they WILL be like General Motors.

There will be no more of this nonsense of buying a belt, replacing a
motor or controller yourself if these and those like them have their
way. You will ship a broken machine to them or take it to their
trained monkeys at their "authorized" (read: those who paid for the
license and big bucks for someone in the shop to be trained by the
manufacturer) for repair.

Wanna upgrade the motor? Too bad. Wanna better controller? Tough.
Like Bogart said, "oh yeah? Well I"ll tell you... you'll take it and
you'll like it".

On the other hand, I think those on this group actually make up a small
percentage of the average turners. Many here, like myself are
inverterate tinkers, never leaving well enough alone. Always
experimenting, always tweaking, always trying something new. Making
tools, making finishes, trying new techniques or projects. I think of
my woodshop as Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

However, in my local woodturning club of about 60 people, there is only
one other like me. They are all bowl/platter/vase turners, and that is
it. So the machine that they buy is made for that, and that is all
they do. They are a timid lot, and don't want to take a chance at
"messing something up". So they will do nothing to change or modify
their lathes. The DVR may or may not be a valid step up for the $$$
for people, but it is probably just as good for most since the machine,
like most today, is all it will ever be when they get it. They have no
sense of exploration or Frakenstein gene, and don't care.

I think that getting rid of a mid range lathe as nice as the Teknatool
(one of the galleried turners in our club still swears by his old one)
is stupid. I am sure this is just about making more $$$ per unit, and
not a statement on the quality or drive system of lathe.

After all, others down under (I know, I know, Teknatool is in NZ and
the others are in AUS) didn't get George's memo that the decision had
been made. In addition to the lathes mentioned by Mr. Noble, there are
the wonderful Vicmarc, and the great Woodfast lathes that are still
belt driven.

Robert