John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Jungle Jim wrote:

We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

I was in a situation where I had to have everything done and
closed up in order to close on the house, but I didn't have
time to pull the wire, terminate it, and punch it down. What
I came up with was putting standard outlet boxes in whereever
I thought I would want a drop, with at least one per room.
I then had the electrician drop conduit from the box down
into the basement. That allowed me to be fully finished
for closing, and allowed me to easily pull the cable later
on. I later found a 3rd benefit in that I changed cable
from cat 3 to cat 5, and having the conduit made it easy
to refish. Had the cable been stapled down near the box,
I would have been screwed. Finally, you will want as big
of conduit as you can. 1/2 is too small. 3/4 is tight for
a good coax and 2 cat 5. Another finally, have the installer
minimize the number of bends in the conduit, and make
sure the bends are gradual. You don't want any challenging
fishes if you can avoid it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications