Bob Mannix

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is a message a few posts down about a plumbing invoice got me
wondering. My house has got gas CH but I would use the immersion heater
in an emergency. The immersion hasn't worked for some time but I ahve
never got around to replacing it.
Bearing in mind the cylinder/heater have been in place for 25 years how
difficult will the heater be to change.

Ah, good and bad. Immersion heater will be well and truly stuck. However, 25
years ago the cylinders were probably thicker and will withstand more in the
way of mistreatment than current ones.

I would soak the threads in easing fluid of some sort (probably won't help
but it might). Next day try an immersion heater spanner on it, with all the
water still in (gives the tank a lot of strength). Tap it, heave on it etc.,
but watch the tank doesn't start to give. If it undoes at all, drain the
system and carry on. If it doesn't, you are in for a new tank as well.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)