T i m

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:44:22 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
wrote:

In article , T i m
wrote:

But, aren't we are omnivores, mammals and part of the food chain?

Man was originally a vegetarian apparently, only changing to an omnivore
when it was found to be a more efficient way of survival. That was perfectly
OK in the past of course. Now we are in the 21st century, isn't it just a
little bit primitive to cage, drug and murder countless millions of animals?

Yes, lets just breed, allow to live free then kill / eat?

There are so many alternatives, it just requires a little imagination and
some moral fibre.

Because I'm not interested in food (though you wouldn't think so from
looking at me .. 6'2" / 16 stone etc) it's always a compromise between
finding something I can be bother to eat that might actually be good
for me and me eating stuff because I feel weak (hungry) that is junk.

*we* stop breeding / killing animals for food will that stop nature
doing the same .. aren't we just part of that 'nature.?

I thought that the boast of mankind is that they are more intelligent than
any other creature in the world? Cue the HHGTTG dolphins. :-)

Possibly, but intelligence isn't the whole picture is it? Assuming we
eat meat for a reason (I mean we can't live on grass, we aren't built
for it) what else could this number of folk easily eat to survive? I
for example would even less enjoy eating than I do if you took away
meat? I have tried 'veggi' stuff (always give stuff a try) but it's
often not nice enough (for my tastes) to continue with. I'm also aware
of some folk who went 'veggie' then when back to an omnivore diet
because veggi made them ill?

Don't get me wrong, I 'generally' protect animals (even usher wasps
out of the window g) and am very upset by the treatment some animals
'enjoy' in the hands of some folk / cultures / countries.

It truly sickens me. Animal behaviour can be excused, but humans are
supposed to know better. Sadly there are a few that consider that animals
are there purely for them to abuse in any way they see fit.

Yep, and as Mary says later .. and not just with animals.

However, I'm no veggie fan and am confused by things like why veggies
need something the shape / taste of say a sausage but made out of
fungus? Why can't it just be a bowl of green gloop?

I'm fully in agreement with you. I turned away from meat when I was a
teenager. For some reason, my mother also felt that if I wasn't going to eat
it, I should be eating something that *looked* like it. Seems to me to be
almost as morally offensive as eating the real thing. There were all sorts
of nasty things in those days. Soya mince which was like chewing rubber
particles was just one.

;-) And it (from memory) is so expensive?

In an ideal world though, I'm with you in principal (I'm still waiting
for tablet-space-food as don't rate food as a hobby in any case).

There are times that it is good to enjoy food, such as on holiday, but most
of the time, I suppose it is just eating to live.

I suppose that is a function of what you do in your life. I'm normally
busy doing 'something' and for most of the time (and this goes back to
when I was a kid) have to 'stop what I'm doing' to eat? Had it not
been prepaired for me I wouldn't have eaten at that time .. or would
have preferred something where I could eat and work at the same time
... like a pasty ;-)

All the best ..

T i m