T i m

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:00:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
With luck you'll end up with better underground and overground links.

Well I suppose we could .. (not that I use them .. I avoid public
transport wherever possible as I can't avoid the cost nor time). Given
the choice I'd rather take the motorcycle, cycle or walk! (possibly a
reaction to 10 years commuting into the City) ;-(

Ok - but better public transport removes traffic from the roads, so
everyone wins.

Well, *some* traffic of course but I can't see us getting such in my
lifetime?

For every new housing estate they build there is more congestion. What
they don't seem to do is put the services / transport in FIRST and
once the buildings are up they are reluctant to knock them down to put
train lines in?

It is my belief that in other countries if they want to build a train
lkine from A to B they draw a straight line and build it, knocking
down whatever is in the way (within reason). Over here we twist and
turn around a cottage here and farmyard there, forcing the line to be
'poor' for time eternal?

I must admit I'm not a train 'fan' (never have been), always had my
own transport from 17 and would rather 'endure' driving from say here
(London) to my girlfriend in Crewe by Morry Minor van than all the
cost / aggro of going by train (and we had some transport once we got
there).

For me the only time public transport makes sense is if we (the
family) are on one of our motorcycle / camping / touring holidays and
we wan't to out as tourists for the day then we might get the bus /
train / taxi.

1) Because they are on time
2) Because they are clean
3) Because they are empty
4) It means we don't have to wear leathers ;-)

I would rather go into the City by motorbike in spite of the gear /
traffic / stress / parking because I could start and leave on time
(when I wanted) and could at least sit down for the entire journey ;-)

The only way I see for an improvement on our local line is to

Run more trains (not easy I'm told).

Make the trains longer (some platforms too short)

Get people to work / time shift (spead the load through the day)

Get people to consider working locally?

"Ah but we get a better quality of life and can buy a bigger house if
we live in the sticks" .. yes, if you count 4 hours commuting a day
and the cost of that to you / your family/ the environment 'better' ?

I'd rather work locally for 20k than in the 'City' for 30 ..

All the best ..

T i m