Mary Fisher

"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote in message
. ..

Now stranded on a desert island, I would be changing my view, but not
where
there is ANY alternative. People are still eating dead animals because the
process is sanitised. Kids are not shown the horrors of what happens to
animals at the hands of "food producers" and the "housewife" buys
prepacked
items that have no resemblance to the real creature that has been so
abused.

Not this housewife.

I've killed poultry, for food. I've been present in slaughterhouses when my
daughter's cattle and sheep have been killed - to ensure that the highest
welfare procedures are complied with. We butcher our own meat, preferring to
begin with the carcase in its coat - whether it's bird or mammal. That's
always possible with game- much of which is culled to protectother crops
(some eaten by vegans).

That way I'm in control and no strangers are dealing with my food.

In the same way we grow our own vegetables and fruit as far as possible - or
only buy from growers we know and trust. We have our own bantams for eggs
and we eat our own honey. We don't eat chicken.

I really don't think you should pick out children and housewives as being
ignorant of where their food originates. Many men don't even know how it
gets to their plate, never mind how it gets into the house.

Very few consumers associate the food on their plates with the poor
creature
that was slain to provide it, otherwise many would refuse it.

I do agree that people should be made more aware of the origin of their
food. We want to eat meat from animals which have been well cared for and
lived natural lives (far more natural than humans) and have been killed
humanely. Unless we eat meat there won't be any animals to live those
natural lives.For that reason we only eat rare breed animals which have also
been reared organically - for the sake of the environment.

I also believe that vegans should be made aware of the origins of their
food, it's not always politically acceptable to me.

We also live the rest of our lives caring for the environment as far as
possible.

For those of us who do it seems daft to shoot something you can't eat. We
can't understand why good food is wasted

It seems daft to me to kill any creature, for any reason. Why can't we
live
in harmony with nature instead of abusing it?

Nature would be severely diminished if farm animals weren't reared for food
and clothing.

BTW, No, I don't wear leather etc.

We do - for the reason above. Why should animals be denied a life?

Mary