T i m

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:03:57 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

And what is it actually about .. folk running / jumping rowing
whatever faster longer further than anyone else? (I'm not into 'sport'
you can tell

That is obvious. Do you hate the world as well?

Not as much as a 'Dr Evil' might ;-) No, I just don't understand why
people become so fanatical about it all .. so we won a go at hosting
the Olympics (our turn again) .. so what? It's not like we haven't
done it before? And I think the title should put some perspective on
it .. "The Olympic GAMES"? It's a game .. like rugby ... ? I'm just
aware that we are also crap and doing this sort of stuff ... like the
Y2k celebrations .. and how the money (and effort) might be better
used elsewhere (like our infrastructure) or providing REAL sports
facilities around the country (for those that want them)?

.. I do walk, cycle, row and sail for fun though).

So, what's it going to do for me .. well living 5 miles away from
part of the projected developement area just MORE congestion and loss
of public park?

They are building a new park

Building? ... your's may be a different definition of the word 'park'
to the one I'm thinking of .. round here most of the Lea Vally
Regional Park Scheme is what God has done after man dug out all the
gravel?

"We can't build there it's public park / green-belt!"
"It's for the Olympics, we can do what we like ..."

It's on derelict land.

Maybe in the lower sections (bits from Tottenham Hale to Enfield Lock)
but from there up to Hertford it's pretty green (unles by 'derelict'
you mean mashland brimming with wildlife?)

And look at all the excitement
from the kids .. the chance of working
hard for 7 years to compete in .. em ..
London .. (for 2 weeks!) ;-(

Top sporstpeopel don't just compete for 2 weeks.

Fair enough .. but I dare say they will just get on with it anyway ..
with or without the Olympics ?

But some folk put these 'athletes' on a pedestal .. something else I
just don't understand ... and giving someone an OBE just because they
can play football / run / row .. how does that improve the lot of
mankind .. wtf's that all about?

As long as I don't have to pay for it and it doesn't affect me (eg
increased congestion) then I actually care less ..

What would affect me (and many others) would be seeing a skate park /
bowl in EVERY town to give the kids 'something to do' ..?

All the best ..

T i m