BigWallop

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
The locking nut is stainless steel and the bracket is drop forged
aluminium, so it's quite tough, and the weld is done on two or three
faces of the hex where it touches the bracket. The whole thing seems to
melt together quite nicely and leaves a strong bond so the nut can't be
un-screwed. They work, and we like them.

It can't be a weld obviously since that can only be between identical
metal.

But this sounds interesting. Some form of 'braze' that works on stainless
but doesn't melt ally?

And they work on quite low settings, though the ones we have are thin rods,
on a small arc welder. The rods are definitely called "indiscriminate" and
don't arc like a normal rod. As I said to Grunff, they sort of arc to a
point of melting and pouring from the end of the rod. The flux coating
seems more rigid than the normal rods as well, and more green than the bluey
tinge of other rods.

Watching them is great fun and has me fascinated watching the three metals
sort of pour together. They give a redder glow through the filter glass
rather than the normal yellowy glow of a normal rod, if that gives any more
ideas on what they're made from.

Al I know is they work, and work well. We've used them for copper to ali',
steel to ali' and copper to tin, though that failed because it was thin
sheet pieces that kept blowing through, but I think it still would have
worked.

I've tried a web search but can't find anyone who sells them. I could have
showed a picture or description of them. We get them through a fabricating
company (shhhhhh) to get the discount on them.