Rob Convery

"Chip" wrote in message
n.net...
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:19:47 +0100,it is alleged that "Rob Convery"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I've got a fireplace in my house which has never been used. Its connect to
the gas via a "gas restrictor elbow" as seen here
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/85480.jpg

I would like to stop the gas going to the fireplace while i do a bit of
work
around it. The top part of the elbow appears to be a safety cap which then
reveals another screw section. I thought it would be a case of just
screwing
this down which would then block the line but it just kept moving down, I
did not want to screw it any further incase it fell through and then meant
there was a leak.

Is it just a case of screwing the middle down till its blocked?

Usually yes.
Normally you will have to go down so the head of the screw is *just
below* the level where the pipe comes off the side, in fact you can
see the 'elbow' part from inside.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it dropping down inside, because if
it DID you'd have already had a very badly damaged elbow that for
safety reasons needs replaced.

On the picture you posted from toolstation, if you draw a vertical
line from the centre of the first O in the logo, and continue it up,
that is about where the *head* of the screw will end up, you'll feel
it bind down against the valve seating.

2 cautions: 1, don't overtighten it down, you will have a hell of a
job getting it back out and might damage the head, and 2, use a
screwdriver sufficiently wide to engage the head, but narrow enough
not to gouge the threads, as you'll be putting it up to 3/4 inch
inside the fitting.

You _will_ smell gas as you do this, that's normal, it's the leakage
back out of the pipe to the heater, and maybe a tiny amount from round
the threads, once it's all screwed down, put the cap back on and
you're safe (never leave the cap off unless you are actually screwing
the valve up or down, it prevents the leakage round the grub screw
threads).

HTH

Thanks - just the reply I was looking for - was going to do it with it off
at the mains but its going to take a few days
so want to be able to have this turned while the mains is on for the heating
etc

Rob