Doctor Evil

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
My roof has no insulation at all and I have been looking at the
options. On the open market the eco friendly products like sheepswool
batts are seven times the price of glass fibre. I'd be prepared to pay
a small premium but that is too much for my bank balance to bear

The government is giving grants for insulating old houses so I booked
a survey to get a price with grant included and to pick the brains of
the surveyor

He has just been to visit and the outcome is that sheepswool is still
much more expensive even with the grant. He says that his company
priced up the sheepswool option for a client and the cost to his
company was 4.5 times what they sell glass fibre for. Add on his
company's markup and the cost to me is heading towards 7 times

The good news is that material and labour for installing ten inches of
insulation in my attic, plus cavity wall insulation in the 1976
extension will cost me just £225 (three bedroom house)

Go for Rockwool, not galss fibre. Make the ceiling air-tight before
installtion and lay a well fitting vapour barrier. Make sure the loft lid is
sealed too.