Dave

Andy Hall wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:19:32 +0000 (UTC), Dave
wrote:

In the next few days I'm going to be joining some worktops.
I've got a decent router and bicuit jointer so plan to reinforce the
joint with biscuits; edges will be rough cut from the back with a
circular saw and then trimmed smooth with the router. I plan to hire (or
buy?) a worktop mitre jig - any advice to improve the chances of success?

Dave

I've recently done this to make a desk for my office. I needed to
have a section across a corner so it involved joining three sections
with 135 degree angles.

I used a DW625 router and long bits, and a jig with the correct
postform slots and cutout for "dog bone" connectors.

I think that the following were useful:-

- Router and good quality bits like Freud or CMT to do the cutting.
If you have a powerful 12.7mm one, there is no point in the circular
saw.

- Mitre jig. As you say either rent one or buy and Ebay afterwards if
you don't want to keep it.

- Plenty of clamps to hold down mitre jig

- Flat surface to work on and make sure that sections are properly
aligned.

- Biscuits are useful for vertical alignment but are not going to do a
huge amount in terms of reinforcement. I used pairs of biscuits at
different depths (Lamello joiner or turn the worktop over) and spaced
about 150mm apart across the joint.

- Dog bone connectors to pull the joint together. This works well
but does not align the worktops vertically. The biscuits do that.

- Once the pieces were cut, I trial fitted them together in the
workshop before moving them to the office. I installed the
supporting frame (cabinets in the case of a kitchen) and aligned them
carefully with a long level so that they were level in themselves and
with the adjacent cabinets.

- The worktop can then be fitted into place, biscuits inserted (dry to
begin with) and a final check done for alignment and level. Then
apply glue to biscuits and mating surfaces. I was using woodblock
worktops, so white glue was fine - chipboard might need a different
glue. Finally, the connectors can be inserted and tightened to pull
the joint together.

Thanks Andy.
How easy was it to get the jig in the right place? I was assuming it
would come with screw holes so it could be screwed to the underside of
the worktops; clamps must be a pita.

Anybody any suggestions on how to guarantee that the joint is sealed?

anybody got a jig to flog?

Dave