IMM

Default Cylinder v thermal store

"Chris Harris" wrote in message

Go for a vented heat bank, not a thermal store, much better than an
unvented cylinder.

http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (to th thermal storage)

I'll take a look.
Chris

Right I've been looking at the sites that you gave me and could see the
difference at a glance, something that the brochure from Telford didn't
(doesn't) show :-)

So in reality; what do you see as the practical day to day advantages of a
thermal store system over a standard mains pressure cylinder?

A heat bank:

- gives higher flow rates.
- operates on low pressure.
- can be DIYed.
- eliminates inefficient boiler cycling, so cheaper to run.
- Fast re-heat
- does not have an air bubble that requires reinstating every year
- does not require an annual service.
- Can provide CH and DHW from the same cylinder
- Can be packaged all in one unit (you just connect up pipes to the boiler
and rads, with no design work involved)
- Hot water temp at the taps user selectable
- A heat bank does not scale up.
- Can have electric backup for CH and DHW when using an integrated heat bank
or thermal store.

What are the relative costs, in materials only?

A DHW only heat bank/thermal store is less than an unvented cylinder.

---