James H

Thanks for the replies.

Why? Part P does not stop you DIYing it. The only difference from before
is you need to either a) submit a building notice to the council prior to
starting work, or b) ignore part P ;-)

Ignoring Part P seems a tempting option, saying it was all done and dusted
in late 2004/early 2005, honest guv'nor
Looking through the council's building control webpages, they have forms for
building work insisting the electrician details are filled in for Part P,
with no mention of inspecting DIY. I'm guessing they're one of the many
that haven't prepared enough. I'll give them a call.

Is there a cupboard adjacent to the hood? If so you could have a single
socket in the cupboard and simply plug the cooker hood into that.

I'm not having cupboards either side. From my days in a shared house,
having to clear the grease off the units either side of the hood wasn't
pleasant and put me off having anything near the hood. That said, in those
days I would often enter the kitchen to find the fog of a full fry-up in
progress with the hood turned off. Nice.

Going deep enough into the walls can't be done so shielding seems the best
method.

This suggestion ignores adding RCD protection. Is it especially
necessary?
Is the electrician likely to suggest it?

Is there any possibility that someone may in future plug in an appliance
that they may use outside? If so then the answer is a definite yes. You
have also not mentioned what type of earthing system you have (i.e. TN or
TN-C-S with an earth provided along with the supply, or a TT setup with
local earth rod). If your earthing is TT then *all*circuits need RCD
protection.

I don't have a TT earth so I won't need everything RCD'd. The garden
circuit just contains a water feature, pair of outdoor uplighters and a
floodlamp. I would also like an outdoor socket installed, protected by the
RCD of the existing garden setup. That would save having to make the socket
in the kitchen nearest the back door RCD protected.

Sounds like spurring off the new kitchen ring using the RCD CU for the
garden should be okay.

Thanks,

James