Chris Harris

Default Cylinder v thermal store

I know plenty
of people that have DIYed an unvented
cylinder.

You have to be BBA approved to fit an unvented cylinder.

Not in this country. What is BBA?

The thermal store in the brochure, under the
TSS system is unvented. Fair
enough if it's meant for storing solar
heated water.

Once again, a thermal store can be pressurised (unvented) and this has be
fitted by a BBA approved fitter/plumber. There are vented thermal stores,
the most common, and these can be DIYed.

The house is four bed, two bath, two
story. approx 11m square (approx 240m2)
with 2.8m ceilings downstairs, normal 2.4 upstairs.

What are you doing to the house? Do you want tanks out of the loft, the
thermal store in the loft to make more space? ???

I plan on fitting a Danesmoor diesel boiler, a 32/50 (or is it a 36/50?
don't have the details to hand) heating an unvented mains pressure system
suppling the kitchen, one bathroom downstairs, one upstairs. The boiler
will also provide the heating via radiators.

There will be no tanks in the loft with an pressurized system, but that is
not an issue as there is plenty of space.

I'm going with what I know and what is available locally. I was and am
curious about the difference between the thermal store, heat bank, and
unvented cylinder or indeed a vented cylinder. They all store hot water and
seemingly there is not much difference. The insulation specs are similar
the actual plumbing arrangement is similar.

Go for a vented heat bank, not a thermal store, much better than an
unvented cylinder.

http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (to th thermal storage)

I'll take a look.
Chris

--
Remove "nospam." from my address to reply directly