Bob

Default Worktop worries...

I'm getting ready to tackle the last big job in my kitchen renovations -
fitting laminate worktops.
I'm hiring a jig and router for next weekend, and I'm fairly confident I can
make a good job of it. I do still have a couple of questions that I'm sure
you guys can help with :-)

1) Is it best to do the cuts in one go, or make several passes, getting
deeper each time?

2) I'm a bit concerned about the laminate chipping. I've read that scoring
it first helps, and also clamping some wood to the surface can stop it, but
what about the bullnosed front edge?

3) Would a circular saw work for the straight cuts? I imagine it would be
quicker, but would I need a special blade (especially to avoid chipping the
laminate?)

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give. I've tackled everything in
the house myself so far (with lots of helpful advice from here), but I would
probably have left this one to a professional. Unfortunately no-one seemed
to be interested in doing the work (not unless they also supplied their own
low quality worktops). In any case, as my mother-in-law helpfully pointed
out, I could mess up quite a few cuts before it would have been cheaper to
get someone in!

Bob