Owain

Mike wrote:
A brickie doesn't use ties if the builder will only employ
him if he actually lays the bricks without arguing and the
builder doesn't supply enough ties.

Hmm. My dad was a brickie until his back gave way and I think he would have
raised merry-hell and walked off the site if necessary. I would have
thought the shortage of good brickies nowadays would have allowed the same
to happen.

I read recently that one-quarter of all workers in the construction
industry[1] in London/the SE are *illegal* immigrants; they aren't in
much position to complain. And they may be being paid only 30p an hour
in any case.

Owain

[1] And in hotel/catering, too.