Hi Andy,

Andy Whitfield wrote:
Hi
I'm going to get a new front door. I need it to be a good secure one but also I have a limited budget.

[snip]

Any comments or advice very much appreciated!

We replaced our wooden front door a few years ago (it was warped) and
chose to replace it with another
wooden door.
Close friends replaced their door a few years prior to this and chose a
uPVC door - it looks pretty
chunky but looks are deceptive.
The problem with the friends door is that the frame was uPVC too (or so
it seems) - resulting in a terrible
job.
That's what caused us to stick to wood for our replacement.

Regarding security, I'd advocate a mortice lock in the middle, a hand
operated turn-buckle bolt at the
base (without key) AND a nightlatch fitted higher than the mortise.
The nightlatch's keeper fits into an electric strike release. Keypad
outside the door too.

Thus: at night you can have the mortice AND the nightlatch AND the
deadbolt securing the door.
When you leave the house empty during the day the nightlatch and the
mortice are used.
When you are in the house the nightlatch keeps any old punter out but
lets in people that know the keypad
number.
If you provide any kids with a door key there is less worry if they
lose it because anyone finding the key
and knowing which door it is for still has to get around the keypad
mortice.

I bought a twenty-quid door closer from Screwfix to ensure that the
door is closed automatically after use.

Next idea (when I get time) is to employ the services of another
solenoid which will be energised via a simple
timer circuit to keep the door open for (say) five minutes.
Enough time to unload the shopping without wedging the door open
permanently then forgetting about it.

The other idea regarding the "Door Sentinel" is in final stages on my
electronic breadboard... :-)

HTH

Mungo