Andy Whitfield

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
Andy Whitfield wrote:

Are the aluminium doors just an aluminium subframe with uPVC panels
or they solid aluminium?

They're made out of an aluminium box section - usually with one or more
double-glazed glass panels. For an outside door, a good standard of
insulation is usually required (even if not in your case). This is usually
achieved with a thermal break - where the box section is in two half-boxes
joined together with resin. I have also seen aluminium doors with a thin
layer of uPVC cladding on the inside.

Sorry, didn't mention no window in door.
What else are the panels made of? aluminium sheet?

I forgot to mention the door must have a wood grain finish to match
other doors in the stairwell. Do you know if the aluminium comes
with a wood grain finish?

You didn't say anything about wood-grain in the original question - nor did
you say whether it was to be partially or wholly glazed. I was assuming -
rightly or wrongly - that it was to be glazed. I have never seen a
wood-grain aluminium door. The usual finish is powder coating in either
white or brown - which is very smart, but looks nothing like wood grain. In
my view, wood-grain effect uPVC is not very convincing - the best way of
achieving wood grain being to make it out of *wood*!
Cheers,
Set Square

Because it's in a block of flats I have to a door of similar appearance to the other original front doors. Doesn't matter if
uPVC wood grain finishing not very convincing; just has to blend in.
My concern about wooden doors and frames, is they are weak around the lock because of the wood removed to fit the lock.
I am assuming here wooden doors are hung in to wooden frames but maybe I can have a steel frame?
Andy