Andy Whitfield

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message ...

"Andy Whitfield" wrote in
message ...
Hi
I'm going to get a new front door. I need it to be a good secure one but
also I have a limited budget.

A steel front door and frame costs the earth. I've been quoted £2000+
which is too much.

A PVC door and frame vary a lot in price but also in security. They
typically have a 3 point locking system (which is a good
thing) but I'm not sure just how strong a 'plastic' front door is?
Anyone ever had a break-in via a PVC front door?

A solid wooden door is probably stronger than a PVC door but I've been
told wooden doors can't have a 3 point locking system.
And wooden doors are vulnerable around the lock(s) and the wooden frames
also tend to splinter under force.

Wooden doors can have multi-point locks. However, the Police recommendation
is two BS thief resistant mortise locks, one at 1/3 and one at 2/3 of the
door height. All external doors should also be hung on three metal hinges,
not less than 100mm long.

Colin Bignell

So the police don't recommend multipoint locking wooden doors? (by multipoint, I mean operated from one handle & key)
Thanks for the info
Andy