Andy Whitfield

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message news
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:11:50 +0100, "Andy Whitfield"
wrote:

Hi
I'm going to get a new front door. I need it to be a good secure one but also I have a limited budget.

A steel front door and frame costs the earth. I've been quoted £2000+ which is too much.

A PVC door and frame vary a lot in price but also in security. They typically have a 3 point locking system (which is a

good
thing) but I'm not sure just how strong a 'plastic' front door is? Anyone ever had a break-in via a PVC front door?

A solid wooden door is probably stronger than a PVC door but I've been told wooden doors can't have a 3 point locking

system.
And wooden doors are vulnerable around the lock(s) and the wooden frames also tend to splinter under force.

Any comments or advice very much appreciated!

Regards
Andy

I had a hardwood door with three point locking ( similar to a PVC door
) except the pins retract into a metal box top and bottom which is
housed in a mortice, so they are, or were, available.
Andy

I haven't seen multipoint locking wooden doors but will do a search for them.
My concern with wooden doors is that they are weak around the lock due to the wood has to be cut out to fit the lock.
Did your door have a wooden frame (the bit fixed to the wall)?
Andy