DeepDiver

"ATP*" wrote in message

I figure if Home Depot allows people to buy tools, use and abuse them
and then return them for full credit/cash back, they'll probably be pretty
liberal with the warranty,

I have to admit, I'm surprised by some of the things I see HD take back on
return. The other day, a customer brought in a set of plastic landscape
lights (the kind you often see alongside driveways). He had them in a heap
of parts and pieces in a plastic garbage bag, along with the
flattened/destroyed box that looked like it had been left in the rain for a
week and then run over a few times by a car. His reason for returning them?
"Plastic lights are cheap and they never last long. So I decided to buy and
install expensive professional metal ones instead." As if he had no idea
what he was getting when he bought the plastic set. Remarkably, the manager
let him return the remains for a store credit.

I think it's great when a store takes back new items for any reason. Why not
if it can be returned to inventory? And they certainly should credit the
customer for defective items. But when customers abuse the return policy
like this guy did, it's the rest of us that pay through higher product
prices.

- Michael