Erik

Default HD's Husky Tool Warranty

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with HD's
'Husky' hand tool warranty.

Do you just show up with the broken tool and get a replacement on the
spot? Or do you have to jump through hoops like producing receipts,
mailing your broken's off, and/or whatever?

Thanks,

Erik
Roy

I always just carried it in and replacement wa made on the
spot.....pretty well hassle free as you could get....

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:21:27 GMT, Erik wrote:

===Hi all,
===
===Wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with HD's
==='Husky' hand tool warranty.
===
===Do you just show up with the broken tool and get a replacement on the
===spot? Or do you have to jump through hoops like producing receipts,
===mailing your broken's off, and/or whatever?
===
===Thanks,
===
===Erik

"The original frugal ponder"
ATP*

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with HD's
'Husky' hand tool warranty.

Do you just show up with the broken tool and get a replacement on the
spot? Or do you have to jump through hoops like producing receipts,
mailing your broken's off, and/or whatever?

Thanks,

Erik

I was wondering the same thing as I plunked down $70 for a swivel gear set
of wrenches. I figure if Home Depot allows people to buy tools, use and
abuse them and then return them for full credit/cash back, they'll probably
be pretty liberal with the warranty, although technically it only covers
"defects in material and workmanship" or similar wording.

DeepDiver

"ATP*" wrote in message

I figure if Home Depot allows people to buy tools, use and abuse them
and then return them for full credit/cash back, they'll probably be pretty
liberal with the warranty,

I have to admit, I'm surprised by some of the things I see HD take back on
return. The other day, a customer brought in a set of plastic landscape
lights (the kind you often see alongside driveways). He had them in a heap
of parts and pieces in a plastic garbage bag, along with the
flattened/destroyed box that looked like it had been left in the rain for a
week and then run over a few times by a car. His reason for returning them?
"Plastic lights are cheap and they never last long. So I decided to buy and
install expensive professional metal ones instead." As if he had no idea
what he was getting when he bought the plastic set. Remarkably, the manager
let him return the remains for a store credit.

I think it's great when a store takes back new items for any reason. Why not
if it can be returned to inventory? And they certainly should credit the
customer for defective items. But when customers abuse the return policy
like this guy did, it's the rest of us that pay through higher product
prices.

- Michael

Andrew H. Wakefield

I have a 1/4" socket wrench that I bought from HD about three years ago.
About a year later, it broke. (Not abused, actually hardly used--the top
just popped off.) I've tried about half-a-dozen times to get it exchanged,
but every time I take it in they don't have the wrench in stock (only
packaged in a kit, not individually). The sales associates seem to be
clueless about doing anything about it. Maybe if I had time to hunt up a
manager, I'd get somewhere, but so far, the guarantee has been worthless for
me!

OTOH, the two or three times that I've taken something in to Sears, they
have seen me coming, anticipated why I was there, and were already reaching
for the replacement. Now *that* has been painless! I know Craftsman quality
takes some bad raps (maybe they know why I'm there because they have to do
it so often?? , but I do appreciate their service.

Andy

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experience with HD's
'Husky' hand tool warranty.

Do you just show up with the broken tool and get a replacement on the
spot? Or do you have to jump through hoops like producing receipts,
mailing your broken's off, and/or whatever?

Thanks,

Erik

Leo Lichtman

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 1/4" socket wrench that I bought from HD about three years ago.
About a year later, it broke. (Not abused, actually hardly used--the top
just popped off.) I've tried about half-a-dozen times to get it exchanged,
but every time I take it in they don't have the wrench in stock (only
packaged in a kit, not individually). The sales associates seem to be
clueless about doing anything about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are two reasonable solutions, and I would ask them to choose one: 1.)
Pull one out of a package, and deal with the replacement on their own time,
or 2.) Give you a refund. If the sales associate is clueless, you SHOULD
ask to see a manager.

I have been witness to a number of stressful situations in the customer
service area, and the store usually ends up giving in.

Jerry Foster

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"ATP*" wrote in message

[...]

A buddy of mine used to work for HD and he tells about the time the manager
gave in and "took back" a car battery... even though they don't sell car
batteries...

In general, there is a reason why someone is just a floor clerk and not a
manager. While you might run into someone who is in line for a promotion
and actually knows what he's doing, generally you need to talk to a manager
for anything but the most routine things. And it goes without saying,
you'll generally get farther faster by being friendly, courteous and
reasonable. It is certainly reasonable to get a defective item replaced and
if you approach the manager with the attitude that you're a happy customer
and replacing it is the most routine thing in the world, he'll probably just
take care of it just to keep you happy and coming back and buying things...

Jerry

Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"ATP*" wrote in message

[...]

I'm proud to say I value myself much higher than did that jackass. What
he so proudly told the world upon returning the lights is that he was worth,
(at least to his own person) no more than he paid for them. Those of us
with a fierce sense of personal pride wouldn't stoop so low, yet I'll gladly
lean over and pick up a lost penny. I've never been so poor that I had to
resort to stealing from others as he did, and I can remember some pretty
lean days.

Harold

Gunner

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:09:56 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I once put a 4' snipe on the end of a Craftsman 3/8 breaker
bar, in a time of need, and loosened 4 of the 5 rusted lug nuts, and
the axis pin snapped on the 5th.

I had more self respect than to take it back to Sears and get a
replacement. So I made a new pin.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Jon Danniken

"Andrew H. Wakefield" wrote:

OTOH, the two or three times that I've taken something in to Sears, they
have seen me coming, anticipated why I was there, and were already

reaching
for the replacement. Now *that* has been painless! I know Craftsman

quality
takes some bad raps (maybe they know why I'm there because they have to do
it so often?? , but I do appreciate their service.

I returned a defective 3/8" socket wrench to Sears, but they had changed the
model to either a cheap POS or the fancy one with the round handle. I was
given the cheap POS, which has given me nothing but frustration and bloody
knuckles. One of these days I'll take it back and demand that it be
replaced with something of similar or greater value than the original.

Jon

I took a screwdriver back to HD last weekend because the flat blade was
twisted around about 45 degrees. Since the handle was less then 1" in
diameter and I had never put pliers or a wrench on the shank I thought
the blade too soft and wanted a replacement. I was informed that they
no longer sold this model screwdriver so there would be no replacement.
I asked how they could replace Crapsman on a one for one basis when
they didn't stock the item being turned in and was informed they no
longer offered that marketing ploy. Basically their warantee is totally
worthless. Price is right but plan on buying another if you ruin it.
Leigh at Marmachine

Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) I was informed that they no longer sold
this model screwdriver so there would be no replacement. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Manager: This is our way of recalling defective tools. Since they are no
good, we discontinue them, and do not provide replacements. You are free to
leave it, though, and go home with nothing. Have a good day.

Richard J Kinch

Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

I've never been so poor that I had to resort to stealing from others as
he did, ...

More of your pompous, twisted moralizing?

A claim on a satisfaction guarantee is not stealing.
Siggy

Interesting. Whenever I return a broken Craftsman tool if they don't have
the exact same one I just go pick out a similar one, often times the more
expensive model than I'm returning, before going to the counter and I have
NEVER had even a question asked about it - they just do it. As for the rep
saying they "no longer offer that marketing ploy" he obviously doesn't know
his head from his ass - just go into any Sears store and look at the
packaging on hand tools. It's printed right there for everyone to see.
Take a look at their website - its printed all over that too:

"If any Craftsman hand tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return
it for free repair or replacement. "

About 6 months ago I was checking out at a Sears store when a guy brought in
a whole bag of screwdrivers - probably 25 or so. He said they had gotten
wet and now smelled moldy. They replaced every one of them. They did call
a department manager over to OK it but he did and the guy walked out with a
bag full of new screwdrivers.

Robert

wrote in message
oups.com...
I took a screwdriver back to HD last weekend because the flat blade was
twisted around about 45 degrees. Since the handle was less then 1" in
diameter and I had never put pliers or a wrench on the shank I thought
the blade too soft and wanted a replacement. I was informed that they
no longer sold this model screwdriver so there would be no replacement.
I asked how they could replace Crapsman on a one for one basis when
they didn't stock the item being turned in and was informed they no
longer offered that marketing ploy. Basically their warantee is totally
worthless. Price is right but plan on buying another if you ruin it.
Leigh at Marmachine

Erik

In article ,
"Siggy" wrote:

[...]

I'm this thread's original poster, and was just curious if HD played
games with their hand tool warranties... the replies suggest caution is
indicated.

Thanks to all who replied! I'd still be interested in hearing of peoples
HD Husky hand tool warranty experiences, both good and bad.

I've been returning arms full of commercially hard used, broken/worn out
Craftsman stuff most every week since the early 70's, and also have
rarely get any guff. Usually when I do, it's off a new guy, and speaking
with a manager solves the issue PDQ.

Erik

ATP*

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

I've never been so poor that I had to resort to stealing from others as
he did, ...

More of your pompous, twisted moralizing?

A claim on a satisfaction guarantee is not stealing.

We were talking about people who "borrow" tools from HD or misuse them and
get them replaced. The local HD is apparently using some of these borrowed
returned tools for the display items. I'm not sure if displaying a Sawzall
that has been dragged on a concrete floor is the way to sell, but I guess
it's that or the discount bin. BTW, completely off this thread, HD rentals
prices their used tools very competitively, definitely cheaper than Ebay in
most cases.

*

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote in article

Those of us
with a fierce sense of personal pride wouldn't stoop so low, yet I'll

gladly
lean over and pick up a lost penny. I've never been so poor that I had

resort to stealing from others as he did, and I can remember some pretty
lean days.

Pick up a penny every two seconds, and you're picking up $18.00 per hour.

The youngsters who want to make big money for little effort these days
simply do not understand that concept.

I couldn't afford to buy a house on what I was making when I was in my 20s,
so I worked two jobs, 60-70 hours per week. Several others of my generation
have done the same.

Nowadays, they want $20.00 per hour for entry-level skills and
experience......

......it simply ain't gonna' happen.

Start picking up some of those pennies...............

Erik asked about HD's tool warranty and to this I say:
When the HD opened in the Twin Cities area they had A large selection
of tools that rivalled Sears and all of the Husky brand was U.S. made as
far as I could tell. They also had A large Lexan bin that had old
Craftsman and Snap-On tools in it They had signs posted that they would
take any Craftsman or Snap-On tool and replace it with a like kind Husky
tool. This was A great deal for me as I had A number of Snap-On tools
that I couldn't get replaced by Snap-On (abused they said) so I got them
replaced at HD without any problem but in the last 4 years they not only
scrapped the program but there tool selection has been cut in half and
most of there Husky brand tools are of foreign manufacture.
Oh well- back to Sears!!

Good Luck!

H.R.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Harold and Susan Vordos writes:

I've never been so poor that I had to resort to stealing from others as
he did, ...

More of your pompous, twisted moralizing?

Up yours, kink. Why the hell don't you go play in the traffic?

A claim on a satisfaction guarantee is not stealing.

As if someone as amoral as you would know.

We were talking about people who "borrow" tools from HD or misuse them and
get them replaced. The local HD is apparently using some of these borrowed
returned tools for the display items. I'm not sure if displaying a Sawzall
that has been dragged on a concrete floor is the way to sell, but I guess
it's that or the discount bin. BTW, completely off this thread, HD rentals
prices their used tools very competitively, definitely cheaper than Ebay

in
most cases.

That concept appears to be beyond kink's ability to reason.

Harold

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
Hand Tool Behavior - The Psychology of Hand Tools charlie b Woodworking 5 August 1st 04 02:14 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM