Default Residential Softener - Crystals forming on brine tank & other questions

Dear all,

In the past few months, a layer of crystals has formed on the outside
of my brine tank. The tank is plastic and has a seam; the crystals are
forming in the vicinity of the seam. Should I be concerned?

My pressure tank evidently is bladder-less, as it requires draining
about twice a year to re-establish the "pad" of air. I could drain it a
lot quicker if I took out the "bung" or pipe plug on top. Any reason I
shouldn't do so? Where do I get a tool to fit it (c. 11/16 hex /
allen)?

I saw a few old posts about carbon / resin post-treatment. I seem to
have one of these and I have no idea when it may have been last
"renewed". What is this appliance supposed to do for me, and is there a
way to determine if it's effective?

What about the softener "stone" itself - does that have finite
lifespan? How do I know if it needs replaced?

I've been in this house a couple years now & it's my first residence
that doesn't have "city" water. Any insights / advice is welcome.

John R
Ohio USA