Neon John

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:05:55 -0400, Frank Thompson
wrote:

Real Kill Wasp & Hornet Killer does a great joib on instant killing.
Contains tralomethrin and d-trans allethrin. It is aerosol spray. Too
dangerous to get on ladder when at war with hornets. Anyone know
of water soluble compound that is equally effective that I can apply
with my pressure washer from the ground.
Frank
Georgia

I've found gasoline to be one of the best wasp killers. A couple of
shots into the nest hole from a squirt bottle filled with gas causes
instant death.

Similarly, a mason jar of gas upended over the hole of a yellow jacket
nest nukes 'em to the next world instantly.

(now we pause while the econazis howl....)

Only a small amount of gas is involved with the spritz bottle so the
fire hazard is minimal. Just don't light a match to check your aim!
:-)

Another great nuker is R-134a refrigerant. I got the idea from some
heavy duty industrial wasp killer we used to get at TVA. It was a mix
of some insecticide and R12. The R12 froze the bugs in place until
the poison killed 'em. One blast of the stuff and animation ceases.

I experimented with R12 alone and found it to be equally effective.
Turns out that freezing the l'il boogers kills 'em dead, no
insecticide needed. Now that R12 is EVIL, I've found that R-134a
works almost as well. It isn't as good a solvent as R12 so it doesn't
soak in as well but it still freezes 'em dead.

You could run a small tube along the length of a paint roller
extension rod or something similar. Connect the ground end to a
blowoff can of R-134a. Use the rod to stick the other end in the
nest's hole, turn the blowoff can upside down and let 'er rip!

I've used this attack scenario on large wasp nests with great success.
I've yet to have the opportunity to try it on a hornet's nest. I have
no doubt that it would work just fine, especially at night.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com