FDR

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
I was remodeling a home in Oakland, Ca and all the inspectors were very
helpful us. The plumbing inspector even came out to the house to show us
how
he wanted us to run a waste line and connect to the sewer. The electrical
inspector was also helpful. We ran a new service and the weather head
wasn't
high enough for city code, but it complied with the NEC. He asked if we
were
given the city electrical code, we had not. He approved us and said, "For
future reference boy, it needs to be higher." I think Oakland wanted to
encourage home owners to maintain their property.
Ron

Around here electrical may be done by anyone but must be inspected for
compliance. The inspector is a nice guy and helpful. As for plumbing, it's
required that a licensed plumber do the plumbing, however a homeowner may do
the work and the inspectors are willing to help the owner understand whay
has to be done. As for the OP saying that he did things one way last year
and it wasn't allowed this year; well that is most likely because the rules
changed. I know we had one inspector come in and cite the plumber for three
things wrong, but then the inspectors supervisor came in and said things
were ok since the rules had changed from the previous year.

"Sasha" wrote in message
ups.com...
I forgot to mention the most amazing part of the story. The first time
plumbing inspector came for the inspection he just said: "Rejected"
very briefly mentioning what's rejected. When I asked him to to explain
what's wrong and how he wants things to be done. He completely refused
to talk to me saying they are not allowed to explain anything. I then
went to township and talked to the second plumbing inspector who
unfortunately happened to be subordinate of the first one. I ordered
reinspection and next time they both came to my house. The story
repeated again, they refused to explain to me anything at first. I then
told them. Imagine a situation that you are stopped by a police officer
and the officer just tell you: "you are fined $500". When you ask him
what the fine for the officer replies: "I am not allowed to tell you
anything". How would you feel? Finally after 30 minutes of tense
discussion the boos inspector within 20 seconds explain to me how he
wants me to fix issues. I spent two days doing this and today finally I
got approval. I don't blame the inspector, I blame the rules. We are
going to celebrate 4th of July, praising our liberties which are
without doubt invaluable. Someone from UK responded to my original
posting saying that in UK they can do anything in their own home. I
just wonder whether the US is really that free country as it states
when people there cannot do in their own homes what they want?