SQLit

snipped==========================
So why is so much money spent on surge suppressors?
Without getting into the whole-house versus power bar argument,
there is electrical noise that can effect electronic equipment
in varying degrees.

Good marketing. I dont have any 'intentional' surge surpressors in my
house. Not to mention that 99% of surge supressors can absorb a max

surge
the size of a static shock from a rug...

Maybe where you live -- but in Florida, power surges resulting from
electrical storms are a major source of TV repairs and a specific profit
center for our family TV repair business. I have everything in the house
protected by surge suppressors and even at that a nearby lightning strike
was strong enough to smoke the surge protector on my stereo power

amplifier
and the amplifier itself, although the plasma TV (on a different

supressor)
escaped unharmed. The manufacturer of the surge supressor pai me for a

new
power amplifier.
Devices themselves are more robust these days and small surges wont do
much. Especially to electronic equipment.

These aren't small surges, and electronics are, IMHO, getting MORE

sensitive
and more expensive, not less.

Neither of my two comments are related to GFCIs, but to the earlier

poster's
overall comments on power surges.

IEEE says if you want surge protection you must protect 2 of the three
zones. Since the utility won't allow you to put one on their lines that will
protect you. Your stuck with one at the service and one at the point of use.
Doing your cable and telco is also a good idea.

I have seen lightning strikes that were 1/4 mile away fry every electronic
ballast in a building.

The CEBMA curve is what the manufactures use to decribe tolerance to voltage
spikes.
No matter what you install nothing is bullet proof.
Since most surge arrestors use MOV's to do the dirty work. I change them
every other monsoon season. Cheaper than a new plasma tv and dealing with
the manufactures for me.