BigWallop

Default RIP DIY - longish rant

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
.. .

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Kevin Chambers" wrote in message
om...
I've been (mostly) reading this group for over a year whilst
renovating my house and during that time have got some usefull
information from it.

snipped

job to his own standard.

There are probably adequate remedies at law for dangerously shoddy work,
criminal negligence probably being at the top of the tree.

And if they want to feel confidently isolated from potential claims after a
house sale they could always commission gas/'electric safety checks and give
the buyers the reports...

snip

We have turned into a society obsessed with fear of insurance companies, the
cult of the "professional", rules and regulations, and the fear of something
going wrong no matter how small the risk.

Richard Sampson

We're not turning into an obsessed society, we are, and always have been, an obsessed
society. The new legislations are taking into account the increase in the DIY trade
across the country. These new legislations are being put in place to prevent the increase
that this market will surely cause. The legislations are being pressured by the insurance
companies, mainly because it is them that have to deal with the consequences of the
outcome of the shoddy workmanship. It is the insurance companies that are assuring that
they have a comeback to some other entity for an installation not being to certain quality
standards.

That's why it is beginning with the services that could potentially be fatal if
incorrectly configured, for the want of better description. The dangers of gas and
electrical equipment are all to plain to see. Any leakage from any of them is
potentially, if not consequentially, fatal to the safety of persons and environments
around the leakage. All the equipment used on the installation is suitable for the job.
The person that is installing the equipment doesn't know that the equipment must be at a
certain temperature, or tightened to certain torque in the case of your vehicle, and a
leakage is caused by this lack of knowledge. What's the outcome ?

I personally think it comes down to the point that two heads are better than one, and if
you can have someone with a good knowledge of the trade to give it a check over after the
works done, and they don't see or detect any problems with it after they carry out their
tests. Then it is a good thing to have done.

The legislations are there to protect before the statistics increase, and not put in place
after the stat's show they are needed.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com