Tim Fischer wrote:
snipola
That sounds like a decent plan, but as usual, there are complications.

I've posted 2 pictures of the situation:
http://www.fischersplace.com/images/...k/deckrot1.jpg
http://www.fischersplace.com/images/...k/deckrot2.jpg

Assume it's structural, plase a temporary beam just inside the wall and
use some jacks (common ones will do fine) to take the load. I've never
done this, but what I've read in Finehomebuilding (which covers a related
topic in this months decks issue, you should give it a read) indicates
that it's easy to get carried away and cause all manner of cracks in the
drywall. Cut out the entire half of the joist (from edge of house to
center beam) and replace it.

Strip the siding up further and make absolutely certain that the sliding
door is flashed correctly . And strip down to see how far the damage to
the sheathing/studs has gone in the bottom wall.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.