Bob Mannix

Default RIP DIY - longish rant

"Kevin Chambers" wrote in message
om...
I've been (mostly) reading this group for over a year whilst
renovating my house and during that time have got some usefull
information from it.

However, it has struck me recently that a lot of people who post
here have an incredibly self righteous outlook, considering this is a
DIY forum. Particularly following the post on legality of electrical
wiring it was quite depressing how many of the replies took the stance
that either you "shouldn't do it without a qualification" or "you
can't legally do it without a qualification, and maybee that's OK".

Firstly you'll have a long search to find any ng without incredibly
self-righteous people on it (they tend to be attracted by the prospect of an
audience).

Secondly, yes it is depressing but that's not the fault of the posters who
are telling you how it *is*, not how it should be. After all, most original
posters are after information, not political debate (at least on uk.d-i-y
they are). It's not the DIY posters telling you you need a paper-competent
person who have made the situation - they are merely trying to help by
telling you what the situation is (well, most of them, including me). Saying
"you can't do x legally without a qualification" is not a stance, it's a
point of information. Many will carry on and do x anyway but at least they
are doing so better informed. If you aren't going to like the answer, don't
ask the question!

Bob Mannix