Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
John Keith wrote:
Update:

The gasket between the carb and the air cleaner was pretty much shot.
This mower has a prime button and it appears the air channel for this
mechanism is routed underneath this gasket and through a small hole in
the gasket. It successfully started a couple of times yesterday and
we'll see about today when I really need to use it.

After replacing this gasket and observing the primer button I got to
wondering, mowers didn't use to have prime buttons and they started
fine. Why did the manufacturers feel they needed to add that
complicating factor?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 01:26:31 GMT, Steve B. wrote:

. But I've run out of ideas to try to
eliminate the problem and would appreciate some suggestions from the
group.

Also consider a vacuum leak. If your carb to gas tank gasket or the
carb to intake gasket is leaking you could be pulling in enough air to
make starting difficult but not enough that you notice it under full
throttle.

Steve B.

John Keith

Before the primer buttons became common, most small engines on mowers
and similar equipment had a choke lever. One advantage of the primer
button is that after starting, no furter action is required. With a
choke, after starting the choke lever must be returned to the open
position.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland