cowboy

I agree they don't "just do that"

unless the GFIC itself was defective.

it was a BS answer in any case, from someone who sounds like they are
underqualified/ignorant or just lazy.

doesn't surprise me, as often times contractors/tradesmen are terribly
underqualified, like HVAC men, for example, an awful bunch of incompetent
rednecks, for the most part.

can't tell you how many I have heard tell a homeowner that an A/C system or
heat pump just needs a shot of freon every year or two, but also tell them
there is no leak.

well find the damn leak, idiot, the freon just doesn't disappear into thin
air! It ain't like a car that just "uses some oil"

want to stump an HVAC man, ask him how the same freon that is room
temperature in that tank over there can make you cold in the summer, yet
warm in the winter

not saying that there is no HVAC tech that can answer this, just saying that
most can't, and that is pathetic

as far as I am concerned, HVAC techs should be REQUIRED to pass a college
level thermodynamics course with an "A" before being granted a license.

I bet you over half the HVAC techs cannot, starting with the compressor,
tell you each component the freon enters, in order, and complete the loop of
naming components back to the compressor again, which is what they should
have learned on their first day of school!