Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Gary

You probably have finished your rolling pin by now, but I have been
helping my youngest son move house, they needed more room after the
arrival of there 3th child, so we have been busy.

I'm catching up with the post of the last two weeks on rcw.

I have made some rolling pins with handles on a shaft that went through
the length of the rolling pin.

I wanted to make some real smooth turning, rolling pins, and used
bearings for the rolling pins, (turned them from UHMW) and used 10 mm
stainless steel tubing for the shaft.

I drilled the rolling pins blanks 3/4"D for approx. 1 1/2" deep on both
ends and then drilled a 1/2" hole halfway through from both ends, that
gave me enough clearance so the shaft would not bind in the wandered
drill hole.

I also made holders to store the rolling pins on, I used turned disks
cut in half to make two half moon pieces and drilled two holes in each
for 1/4" dowels to space the half moons apart, and drilled with a
forstner bit a almost half hole, for the handles to lay in .

They made very nice Christmas gifts and were very well received.

Drilling long holes in wood that stay straight and on center is hard to
do, unless you have some special bits, and they are hard to come by, you
could make a so called D drill or gun drill, but it takes a long time to
drill deep holes with them, they don't cut fast and you have to keep
backing the bit out very often since there is so little room for the
swarf, Dan Bollinger showed a picture of a deep hole wood drill at one
time, never seen or used one like that, and I don't know if it would be
worthwhile to make one.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Gary & Karen wrote:

Greetings

I am trying to make a rolling pin. When I try to drill the hole for the
handle, the bit wanders and does not come out in the center of the other
end. What is the best procedure for drilling this hole?

Thanks

Gary