Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message

I agree that there may be instances where filing works, but
I avoid it as much as possible.
To me, files are for deburring, and little more.

I certainly agree when it comes to machining a precision surface (as if my
novice opinion means anything).

But there are valid uses for applying a file to a turning workpiece

(beyond
deburring). For example, I have yet to build a ball-turning fixture for my
lathe. Therefore, when I want to render an external spherical surface, I
simply make a series of step cuts (using x^2 + y^2 = z^2 calculations) to
create a rough profile, and then apply a file to remove the high points,
thus yielding my nice ball end. For non-precise applications like this, a
file is indispensable.

- Michael

Yeah, I also do that. Small radii on shaft ends, too. Don't even bother
to make the calculations, preferring to work with a template (radius gage) ,
instead. Maybe I should have said that using a file for a straight,
precision surface is stupid, which I think it is. Even those with
considerable skill can't guarantee the outcome. Truth be known, I use a
file a lot more than I imply, but never for straight (precision) work.

Harold