CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Ignoramus23410 wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:13:10 -0400, RichK wrote:

"Ignoramus23410" wrote in message

I am wondering if all 8 wires on a cat5e cable are used for
Ethernet purposes, and if that is not the case, is there a couple I
could use for phone. That way I could save $$ and time by running one
cable instead of two.

No all 8 wires are not used. An Ethernet patch cable has only 4
conductors - there should be a hint in that.

thanks.

You mention a router... are you using only one port on the router? Not sure
what your plans are.

The intended topology of our home network is as follows:

Wall
- DSL Jack
- DSL Modem
- Network Switch
- Linux box
- Windows XP box
- LinkSys wireless router
- Laptop 1
- Laptop 2

DSL modem and network switch are in the basement utility room, and
Windows XP box has been relocated to our bedroom on the opposite side
of the house. That necessitates a 120 ft cable run.

Also RJ45 and RJ12 plugs are physically compatible. That is you can
plug an RJ12 (phone) into an RJ45(Ethernet). And if you use the proper
wiring convention (forget if its 568A or 568B) the center wires will be
open and you can have both phone and ethernet in the same jack. Not
that you would want too.

At my old home I had 1 pair running up to my computer room that brought
my ISDN line, 1 pair returning to the basement which was one of the
house phone line that ran from my ISDN Adapter, and connected to the
rest of the house phone lines, and 2 pair for ethernet that ran back to
basement for my router in the basement. It was perfect.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert