dadiOH

Thanks for the great information! I'll pick up some of the paints you
suggested this weekend for experimentation. One other question: the
wood grain of the cabinet frames has typical Oak features, meaning it
is porous / loose grain. I expect that when I paint over this, I will
still see the grain surface irregularities through the paint.

Depends...

I thought it might be wise to use some kind of filler to fill in these
imperfections. What do you think? Again, thanks for the great info.

A heavy bodied, *sanding* primer should fill the grain, might take two
coats. It is easy to tell...if the grain still shows after getting the
primer smooth you need another coat. Note that you want a *sandable*
primer for that...many/most primers don't sand very well even sanding
wet. One that does is made by Interlux - it was especially formulated
for priming Philippine mahogany on boats. It dries fast, sands
wonderfully and is horribly expensive (last I checked around
$80/gallon). I am sure there are others.

One easy way to tell if the surface is smooth is to prime and sand then
prime again (spray can works well) with a different color primer. Sand
again...if you can remove all of the colored primer without cutting
through to wood the surface is good.

An alternative filler is "grain filler". It is made for open grain
woods, usually is silex in naptha. Wipe it on like stain, wipe off.
Often used for filling open grain woods under a clear finish but AFAIK
you could use paint instead of a clear coat.

Note too that some people like seeing the wood texture under paint. Not
me.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...