Guess who

On 5 Jul 2005 22:38:57 -0700, "Roamdog"
wrote:

If the edges of the hexes are exactly 2 inches, how many hexes can you
get from two 4X8 sheets of 3/4 MDF?

700 or so if you could honeycomb them, otherwise, something over 500
perhaps. Honeycomb is possible with other material [metal], and laser
or high pressure water jet, and a computerised system. Unfortunately,
MDF would either burn, or absorb moisture and deform.

How precise?

"Exact"?

The problem as I see it is that the expectation of a "precise" fit is
argumentative. Most have trouble cutting *one* hexagon and having all
sides turn out exactly as they expected first shot. It might look OK
in individual pieces, but when you assemble, the errors, however
small, *will* compound, and that adds up to a lot of effort for
something made out of pressed paper.

Too much talk on this topic already. I'm done.