Dave in Fairfax

mac davis wrote:
snip
I just remember that years ago I tried making pie crusts and kept melting the
damn shortening and getting really sucky crusts...
now, you can buy the suckers cheaper than you can make 'em!

Thinking back, I remember a friend that was a chef showing me his "tools" and he
had a stainless steel rolling pin (that, if I remember correctly, had handles)
that he kept chilled or something...

That's exactly the problem. The lard/shortening and the utensils have
to be COLD. If they start to warm, you might as well get one of the
lousey ones from the store. Stone and metal chill and stay cold very
well, wood doesn't accept of conduct heat very well, so it's usable, but
if you aren't keeping your hands to the ends, it will affect the dough.
either way, you don't need to run a hole through the entire rolling pin.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: