mac davis

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:57:38 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

I asked the wife why a rolling pin has handles... (and I should have
thought of this) and she said it was to keep the heat of your hands
from melting the shortening in the pie crust..

I don't understand your statement here, Mac. If the rolling pin is
sufficiently long, this is still not a problem. Maple doesn't conduct heat
all that well anyway.

The rolling pin we most often use is a simple maple cylinder, ~2"d, 18"
long, purchased at a snooty kitchen store, in the days before woodworking
became an obession^H^H^H^H^Hhobby.

Patriarch.

I have no idea, though our rolling pin (as I remember it) is not that long...

I just remember that years ago I tried making pie crusts and kept melting the
damn shortening and getting really sucky crusts...
now, you can buy the suckers cheaper than you can make 'em!

Thinking back, I remember a friend that was a chef showing me his "tools" and he
had a stainless steel rolling pin (that, if I remember correctly, had handles)
that he kept chilled or something...

I confess... if you don't burn it over fire, I probably don't know how to cook
it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing