Christopher Tidy

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:14:51 -0500, the opaque "bw"
spake:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
. ..

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:27:05 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:
That's what I use on my sh*t shaker (compost screening plant) I used
blocks of oak(?) from pallets faced and bored on a lathe faceplate.
The 1/4" throw eccentrics run in pairs of these and are greased
through grease nipples mounted to hollow 3/8 cap screws threaded into
the wooden bearing - this was to increase the tapped hole strength in
the wood - the nipples blew out without the hollow cap screw
adapters. At ~600 RPM these bearings work great but need a bit of
clearance.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Wood bearings were common in windmills. Just make them a little longer.
Check older machinists books for info on wood bearings, types of wood,
lubrication.

Lignum Vitae wood has been used on boat propeller and rudder shafts
for centuries now.

Sorry for the slow reply to this thread. I immediately thought of Lignum
Vitae when someone mentioned wood bearings. An old schoolteacher told me
if was used to line sterntubes years ago and it stuck in my mind. Is it
readily available and affordable? I'd be interested to experiment with it.

By the way, the reason I didn't suggest using those "egg shaped"
bearings (the kind with two bolt holes parallel to the shaft) is that no
one will supply the to me at a sensible price in England. We can't get
prices anywhere near to McMaster's for a lot of stuff!

I might be able to get regular pillow blocks cheaply enough, but I don't
really want to mount then vertically or with one upside down. I think
it'll spoil the looks of my tumbler. Maybe I should wait till I get a
milling machine, but that could well be a few years!

Must go - supposed to be going on holiday in 4 hours!

Thanks for the suggestions,

Chris