Wild Bill

I suppose that there are some very weird "acceptable" practices used
specifically in mobile home construction.
They're essentially in the RV category, as far as manufacturing goes.
In comparison to real home construction practices and materials, many of
them are basically the equivalent of the China/India version of machines and
tools.
The ones I've worked in can cause ya to feel sympathetic for the owner.

The plumbing is sub-standard to normal home construction.. I've also seen
fixtures that are actually marked/designated/approved for RV (on the back or
bottom, where it's not easily seen).

I've never seen one burn, but the bare frames are shown on the news
frequently.

The screw/captured wire termination is a reliable connection for current,
and most better quality replacement cord ends (stranded wire) use these
types of terminals.

The only advantage I see for IDC electrical power connections is speed in
the assembly process. The romex skin is peeled off for about 5", then the
IDC device is pressed shut on the wires, where I saw them used.
Feed through and branch end connections require no cutting, stripping,
twisting, pigtails or fastening. Total crap in my opinion.

WB

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
There are also some very poorly designed (crap) products produced in the
USA.

Some folks hate the more common strip/push-in connections (myself

included),

There are two basic types. There is the spring-loaded style (that I

don't
trust) and there is the type where the connection screw tightens a plate

that
captures the wire. That second type is pretty good.

It would be reasonable to assume that these IDC parts would have some
additional protection when installed, but they don't. They don't fit

into
standard boxes, and aren't intended to be mounted in boxes,

(Shudder) I have never seen these things. Have you ever seen a

mobile home
burn? I thought that they generally improved the mobile home wiring code

about
the time they outlawed aluminum wire in them? Wrong?

The IDC termination technique has been successfully used in the

electronics
industry for decades,

Especially in the telephone world.

Vaughn